Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2019, 02:09:27 PM

Author Topic: Famous Revert Muslims  (Read 31095 times)

• Global Moderator
  • Reputation Power: 1875
  • Muslim  Woman is awe-inspiring!Muslim  Woman is awe-inspiring!Muslim  Woman is awe-inspiring!Muslim  Woman is awe-inspiring!Muslim  Woman is awe-inspiring!Muslim  Woman is awe-inspiring!Muslim  Woman is awe-inspiring!Muslim  Woman is awe-inspiring!Muslim  Woman is awe-inspiring!Muslim  Woman is awe-inspiring!Muslim  Woman is awe-inspiring!Muslim  Woman is awe-inspiring!
Famous Revert Muslims
« on: April 11, 2007, 10:52:59 AM »

I seek refuge in Allah (The One God) from the Satan  (devil) the cursed, the rejected

With the name of ALLAH (swt) -The Bestower Of Unlimited Mercy, The Continously Merciful

Assalamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh (May the peace, mercy and blessings of Allah be upon you)

&&&

Islam is also the fastest growing religion in the world and has an estimated 1.2 billion adherents throughout the globe.

But who are the faces and personalities behind these converts to Islam?

Khadija, wife of Prophet Muhammad (pbuh), was the first to convert to Islam. Some of the more well-known converts to Islam from more recent times are the following:

Muhammad Ali – Formerly Cassius Clay; three-time Heavy Weight Champion of the World. He converted to orthodox Islam in 1965.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar – Formerly Ferdinand Lewis Alcindor. Before the 1971-72 season Alcindor converted from Catholicism to Islam and took the name Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.

He played 20 seasons in the league with the Milwaukee Bucks and Los Angeles Lakers. By the time the 7 foot 2 basketball player retired in 1989, Abdul-Jabbar was a six-time Most Valuable Player and is now one of the 50 Greatest Players in NBA History.

Marmaduke Pickthall: A Servant of Islam

[ stunned the audience by declaring his  Shahada openly in UK  }

A profile of the early 20th century English convert,
writer and Quran translator by Abu Ali Hadhrami

Profile of Bilal Philips
Jamaican/Canadian convert and Islamic speaker and author.

Short Profile of Yahiya Emerick
American convert, Islamic author and publisher.

El-Hajj Malik El-Shabazz -- More popularly known as Malcom X; black-rights activist and religious leader. In 1964, after a pilgrimage to Mecca, he announced his conversion to orthodox Islam and his belief in the possibility of brotherhood between blacks and whites.

http://www.islamfortoday.com/converts.htm#Prominent

http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/islam_in_the_us/33392

Insha Allah , more to be added

My Father is greater than I.  Bible, John 14:28

Christ will never be proud to reject to be a slave to God ...( 4: 172 )

prepared by faith :)

recitation: http://quran.jalisi.com
  • Global Moderator
  • Muslim  Woman is awe-inspiring!Muslim  Woman is awe-inspiring!Muslim  Woman is awe-inspiring!Muslim  Woman is awe-inspiring!Muslim  Woman is awe-inspiring!Muslim  Woman is awe-inspiring!Muslim  Woman is awe-inspiring!Muslim  Woman is awe-inspiring!Muslim  Woman is awe-inspiring!Muslim  Woman is awe-inspiring!Muslim  Woman is awe-inspiring!Muslim  Woman is awe-inspiring!
Re: Famous Revert Muslims
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2007, 04:15:05 PM »
 :salam:

Letter from Makkah *

The following is Malcolm X’s (al-Hajj, Malik al-Shabazz) letter to his assistants in Harlem during his pilgrimage to Makkah in April of 1964:
Never have I witnessed such sincere hospitality and overwhelming spirit of true brotherhood as is practiced by people of all colors and races here in this ancient holy land, the home of Abraham, Muhammad and all the other Prophets of the holy scriptures. For the past week, I have been utterly speechless and spellbound by the graciousness I see displayed all around me by people of all colors.

I have been blessed to visit the holy city of Makkah; I have made my seven circuits around the Ka'aba, led by a young Mutawwaf (guide) named Muhammad; I drank water from the well of the Zamzam. I ran seven times back and forth between the hills of mount al-Safa and al-Marwa. I have prayed in the ancient city of Mina, and I have prayed on mount Arafat.

There were tens of thousands of pilgrims, from all over the world. They were of all colors, from blue-eyed blondes to black-skinned Africans. But we were all participating in the same ritual, displaying a spirit of unity and brotherhood that my experiences in America had led me to believe never could exist between the white and non-white.

America needs to understand Islam, because this is the one religion that erases from its society the race problem. Throughout my travels in the Muslim world, I have met, talked to, and even eaten with people who in America would have been considered white - but the white attitude was removed from their minds by the religion of Islam. I have never before seen sincere and true brotherhood practiced by all colors together, irrespective of their color.

You may be shocked by these words coming from me. But on this pilgrimage, what I have seen, and experienced, has forced me to rearrange much of my thought-patterns previously held, and to toss aside some of my previous conclusions. This was not too difficult for me. Despite my firm convictions, I have always been a man who tries to face facts, and to accept the reality of life as new experience and new knowledge unfolds it. I have always kept an open mind, which is necessary to the flexibility that must go hand in hand with every form of intelligent search for truth.

During the past eleven days here in the Muslim world, I have eaten from the same plate, drunk from the same glass, and slept on the same rug - while praying to the same God - with fellow Muslims, whose eyes were the bluest of blue, whose hair was the blondest of blond, and whose skin was the whitest of white. And in the words and in the deeds of the white Muslims, I felt the same sincerity that I felt among the black African Muslims of Nigeria, Sudan and Ghana.

We were truly all the same (brothers) - because their belief in one God had removed the white from their minds, the white from their behavior, and the white from their attitude.

I could see from this, that perhaps if white Americans could accept the Oneness of God, then perhaps, too, they could accept in reality the Oneness of Man - and cease to measure, and hinder, and harm others in terms of their “differences” in color.

With racism plaguing America like an incurable cancer, the so-called “Christian” white American heart should be more receptive to a proven solution to such a destructive problem. Perhaps it could be in time to save America from imminent disaster - the same destruction brought upon Germany by racism that eventually destroyed the Germans themselves.

[ pl. visit  link :  http://discover.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?c=Article_C&cid=1154235109261&pagename=Zone-English-Discover_Islam%2FDIELayout ]

US Mayor Embraces Islam

http://discover.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?c=Article_C&cid=1170620796152&pagename=Zone-English-Discover_Islam%2FDIELayout

After studying the Qur'an for years, United States Mayor Jack Ellis of Macon, Georgia, embraced Islam in December during a ceremony in the west African nation of Senegal. Though now working to legally change his name, Ellis will keep his surname at the request of two of his daughters. His new name will be Hakim Mansour Ellis.

Ellis, first sworn in as Mayor of Macon on December 14, 1999, became the city's first black mayor in the city's 176-year history. He is now completing his second term and is thus ineligible for re-election, although he has not ruled out running for Congress in 2008. He says he is proud to live in a country founded on religious freedom.

To read more about Mayor Ellis click here

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?c=Article_C&cid=1170514785077&pagename=Zone-English-News/NWELayout

« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 04:23:55 PM by Muslim Woman »

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2007, 04:44:40 PM »

Islam Changed My Whole Life: Cricketer

Pakistan's cricket star Yousaf Youhana, who was the only Christian in the team, announced, Saturday, September 17, 2005, that he had embraced Islam three years ago but he kept it secret due to unavoidable circumstances.

http://discover.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?c=Article_C&cid=1154235128508&pagename=Zone-English-Discover_Islam%2FDIELayout

• Reputation Power: 36
  • world peace is working their way up.world peace is working their way up.world peace is working their way up.
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2007, 07:24:16 PM »
 :cool:

i would like to add sheikh Yusuf Estes! mashallah his reversion story is so kool! mashallah! :D

heres the link: http://www.famousmuslims.com/Yusuf%20Estes.htm

"Our Lord! We have indeed believed, so forgive us our sins and save us from the punishment of the Fire."

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2007, 02:10:16 AM »

i would like to add sheikh Yusuf Estes! mashallah his reversion story is so kool! mashallah! :D

heres the link: http://www.famousmuslims.com/Yusuf%20Estes.htm

thanks for sharing ....ya ,  his  dad , wife , friend .....all became Muslims ....amazing stories  :)

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2007, 04:51:41 PM »

Rev. David Benjamin Keldani, B.D. (b. 1867)

Taken from Abdul-Ahad Dawud, "Muhammad in the Bible", Pustaka Antara, Kuala Lumpur, 1969 (edited). Courtesy of Pustaka Antara.

http://www.welcome-back.org/profile/david_keldani_bio.shtml

Before he became a Muslim and changed his name to Abdul-Ahad Dawud, Rev. David Benjamin Keldani, B.D. was a Roman Catholic priest of the Uniate-Chaldean sect.

He was born in 1867 at Urmia in Persia; educated from his early infancy in that town. From 1886-89 (three years) he was on the teaching staff of the Archbishop of Canterbury’s Mission to the Assyrian (Nestorian) Christians at Urmia.

In 1892 he was sent by Cardinal Vaughan to Rome, where he underwent a course of philosophical and theological studies at the Propaganda Fide College, and in 1895 was ordained Priest

Imust remind the Christians that unless they believe in the absolute unity of God, and renounce the belief in the three persons, they are certainly unbelievers in the true God ...

The Old Testament and the Qur'an condemn the doctrine of three persons in God;

the New Testament does not expressly hold or defend it, but even if it contains hints and traces concerning the Trinity, it is no authority at all, because it was neither seen nor written by Christ himself, nor in the language he spoke, nor did it exist in its present form and contents for - at least - the first two centuries after him."

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2007, 01:56:57 AM »

This book caused a public scandal when it first appeared in Europe because of people's shock that the prominent German author acceppted Islam.

After its publication, Hoffman - a former German diplomat, Diretor of Information for NATO, and a Harvard Law graduate - was attacked by the German media.

The book introduces Islam for "westerners who seek to understand Islam on a personal level." Brilliantly written by Hoffman with intention of building bridges between Islam and the West.

read sample pages:   :barakallah:

http://www.islamicbookstore.com/b2716.html

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2007, 05:47:21 PM »

The Moment of Awakening

A Hungarian Orientalist Finds Islam

Germanus was born in Budapest, Hungary in 1884 and was raised as a Christian.

Immediately after graduating from the University of Budapest, he decided to specialize in the Turkish language. So he traveled to the University of Istanbul in 1903 to study Turkish. In only two years, he was able to master the Turkish language and excelled in speaking, reading, and writing it.

During his time at the University of Istanbul, he came across an exegesis of the Qur'an in Turkish. This marked the beginning of his transformation and his interest in Islam and the Qur'an. The exegesis enabled him to understand Islam from the original sources, and he saw in the various exegeses which were available in several languages, the fallacies which were taught about Islam by Christian missionaries.

This article is translated from Arabic by Rose Aslan.

http://www.islamonline.net/english/journey/2006/04/jour01.shtml

Fareed Kamal – formerly Jonathan Davis. He is more popularly known as Q-tip, th former member of A Tribe Called Quest. He converted to Islam around 1996.

Erik Schrody – lead singer of Everlast, who is of Irish decent, converted from Catholicism to Islam in 1997. The rapper turned rocker’s hit single “What It’s Like,” off his "Whitey Ford Sings the Blues," garnered triple-platinum sales of his album. The lyrics of his album's closing track, "Graves to Dig,” reflect his religion: "One for the prophet/Two for Islam/Three for the khutba from the imam."

http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/islam_in_the_us/73986/2

« Last Edit: April 21, 2007, 12:27:20 AM by Muslim Woman »

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2007, 12:59:10 AM »

WHY WE BECAME MUSLIMS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In this age of reason and scientific progress, when all religions and traditional sets of beliefs have been exposed in their true colours as being nothing but superstitious .ignorance, Islam with its emphasis on rationality has made a great impact on the modem human mind.

With the gradual removal of the veils of prejudice, bigotry and ignorance, more and more people are realizing the truth, and joining the Universal brotherhood, called Islam, which knows no barriers of race, colour, language and even geographical boundaries. Despite the massive anti-Islamic propaganda of the International media in league with Zionism and the Church, whose global economic exploitation has put vast resources at their disposal; seekers of truth from various dimes are coming into the Islamic fold.

Following we present a summarized account from some of our new brothers and sisters on how and why they became Muslims.

Dr. Gernia

(A former French MP)

For a long time I have carefully studied the holy Qur'an and was amazed to discover that its verses contain a mine of knowledge, dealing with such diverse sciences as astronomy, medicine, biology, health, social care, etc. And the interesting point is, all of these remarkably agree with our own modem rational mind and scientific discoveries made on these subjects.

However the important thing which convinced me of the truth of Islam and Muhammad's (s.a.w) prophethood was the fact that without ever sitting before a teacher, he already knew before 1400 years, what modem science is beginning to unravel today. I firmly believe that if any scientist or scholar compares the Qur'anic verses with his own particular field of research, undoubtedly like me, he will realize the truth and become a Muslim.

Mr. Yacoub Raymond - France

Three important points made me reject Christianity and accept Islam:

1) Christianity though acknowledging the past prophets, elevates Jesus (a.s ) to the position of God traces of pagan Roman influences - thus distorting the fundamental concept of the divinely revealed messages; Monotheism.

2) The absurd logic of Trinity, which credits Jesus with a dual personality - human and divine These two irrational ideas are Christianity's major flaws in the light of the monotheist concept of God as taught by the Prophets Abraham (a.s.) and Moses (a s ).

3) Finally, Christianity gave birth to the Institution of the Church, which claims to act as an intermediary between God and man. This erroneous concept is in fact a green signal to its followers to commit sins, because of the Church's pretension to forgive them.

What a stupid idea! Does the Church which is run by fallible mortals has the power to forgive the sinners, instead of the Omnipotent, Immortal God?

A dangerous notion indeed which no doubt explains the vices and their natural consequences - diseases and social breakdowns rampant in Christian countries.

Another important factor which drove me away from Christianity was the intense love for the material world among the Christians.

When we draw a comparison between Islam and Christianity, we discover the obvious truth Prophet Muhammad (s.a.w.) not only confirmed the prophethood of all the previous prophets, but that which was revealed to him (the holy Qur'an) are the only words of the Almighty , genuinely preserved unlike the previously revealed books, (Torah and Gospel) which have been badly tampered with and distorted.

Professor Roger Garaudy (Rajaa')

(French philosopher and man of letters. Speaker of the French Parliament from 1956 to 1958, whose historical conversion on 11 Ramadhan, 1402 (1982) made quite an uproar in the West.)

The only solution for the great crisis threatening to tear apart the present day world is the application of Islamic laws. Islam holds the key to social reforms, because of its subliming character which fosters spiritual unity.

The holy Qur'an helps us to see in everything or event, signs of Allah's Majesty, thereby proving the existence of a Higher Being, Who guides nature and life. Of course the main purpose of religion is to promote cooperation and unity.

Today the West needs Islam more than ever before, in order to give life its meaning and history its purpose.

The West has unfortunately separated science from wisdom, thought from its mode, which are so harmoniously knitted together in Islam as a single unit. Islam is the goal and the refined form of the Abrahamic creeds and teachings, whose earlier crude forms were Judaism and Christianity. There is no other way out for the West except to look towards Islam for deliverance from the catastrophic exploitation of Capitalism.

Lord Douglas Hamilton
(British industrialist, now known as Adel Hamilton)

Islam is the only religion capable of combating social discrimination, agnosticism and the decadence of modem civilization. It continues to attract a number of university graduates, who have been disillusioned with various ideologies and isms.

Sir Archibald Hamilton-U.K.

It was quite natural for me not to resist the magnetic pull of Islam. What a wonderful system of life! Besides forbidding all generally frowned upon vices, it explicitly prohibits the drinking of alcoholic beverages and intoxicants as well as the taking or giving of usury.

In other words Islam does not allow any individual or group to exploit the other. These wise injunctions coupled with the philanthropic obligations of 'Khoms' and 'Zakat' (poor-rates) to be distributed by the haves among the havenots without the latter's need to beg, make Islam a dynamic religion. Moreover begging is discouraged by Islam as a loss of self-respect.

These laws, not only maintain a social balance by removing barriers of ignorance but elevate human dignity to its greatest heights.

In short Islam guides life on a straight forward path, while Christianity crookedly preaches to its followers that God should be worshipped on Sunday and humans on the other days of the week.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 01:02:37 AM by Muslim Woman »

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2007, 11:18:32 AM »

The First Ambassador of Islam

One time when Mus`ab was sitting with a group of people under a tree, one of the notables of Madinah approached, brandishing a spear. Mus`ab said to the group, ‘If he sits down, I’ll speak to him.’

The man threatened Mus`ab and warned him to leave the city and leave them all alone. Mus`ab smiled warmly and invited him to sit down and hear what he had to say. He added that if the man liked what he said he could accept it and if he didn’t like it, he would leave and not bother him again.

The man agreed. He sat down and listened. Mus`ab did not compel him to do anything; he didn’t ridicule him or argue with him. Mus`ab simply recited the Qur’an and explained the simply and beautiful message of Islam.

The man’s face changed and became radiant. It was clear that faith had entered his heart. He accepted Islam. More and more people accepted Islam at the hands of Mus`ab, through the mercy of Allah the Almighty. The first ambassador of the Prophet (peace be upon him) was extremely successful.

http://discover.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?c=Article_C&cid=1154235110423&pagename=Zone-English-Discover_Islam%2FDIELayout

Suhaib Ar-Rumi: From Slavery to Freedom and Dignity

When Suhaib heard about the Prophet Muhammad, he made up his mind to find out for himself what was really going on. The non-believers told Suhaib to be careful, and told him he would be in danger if he went to the house of Al-Arqam where the Muslims used to meet. Nevertheless, he went there. When he was near the door he met his friend `Ammar.

They were both curious to find out about Muhammad and the Muslims, so together they entered the house. They both stayed with the Prophet for the whole day and their hearts were gladdened and lit with the beauty of faith. Their faces beamed with new found happiness and strength.

Like the other people who accepted Islam, Suhaib had to undergo many hardships because of his new faith.

http://discover.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?c=Article_C&cid=1154235109636&pagename=Zone-English-Discover_Islam%2FDIELayout

« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 11:23:39 AM by Muslim Woman »

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2007, 12:37:31 AM »

Interviewed by Islamic Voice, Volume 11-11 No: 130, November 1997

http://thetruereligion.org/modules/xfsection/article.php?articleid=197

Lanky, blonde, green-eyed, 33-years-old Abdur-Raheem Greene appears to be a character straight out of a Hollywood movie Ben Hur.

The Tanzania-born Britisher embraced Islam in 1988 and has been a dawah practitioner in Britain since then.

He wears a look that instantly evokes comparison with the popular portrayal of the Prophet Jesus (Pbuh) in the imagery of Christian Europe. Greene’s tryst with Islam took place in Egypt where he mostly spent his vacations.

He lectured in Bangalore in early October on “God’s Final Revelation.” He spoke to the Islamic Voice while in the city.

[Excerpts follow]

Your background

I was born to British parents in Darussalam in Tanzania in 1964. My father Gavin Green was a colonial administrator in the still existent British empire. He later joined Barclays Bank in 1976 and was sent to Egypt to set up Egyptian Barclays Bank.

I was educated at famous Roman Catholic Monastic School called Ampleforth College and went on to study history in the London University. However, I left my education unfinished.

Currently, I am working with an Islamic media company based in England and engage myself in dawah activities including lectures on Islam in London’s famous Hyde Park.

What kept you from obtaining a degree?

I grew totally disillusioned with the British educational system. It was thoroughly Eurocentric and projected world history in a way that suggested that the civilisation attained its full glory and apogee in Europe. Having lived in Egypt and seen some of the majestic ruins which only archaeologists have access to, I found the West’s interpretation of history totally fallacious. I began a private study of histories of other peoples of the world, various religious scriptures and philosophy. I was practising Buddhism for nearly three years though never formally embraced it.

Study of the Holy Qur’an immediately attracted me. Its message had a magical appeal and I grew convinced that it was a divine revelation. I believe only Allah guided me, none else. I don’t know what made me deserve Islam.

But anything specific that could have appealed to you?

I was dissatisfied with Christianity from the age of eight. The concept that was taught to us through rhymes such as Hail Mary! Was not at all acceptable to me. While on one hand the Christians described God to be eternal and infinite they felt no compunctions in ascribing birth of God from the womb of Mary. This made me think that Mary must be greater than God.

Secondly, the Christians’ concept of trinity was puzzlesome for me. The similitude like Canadian Maple leaf being one despite three sections appeared utterly unapplicable.

The crunch came when an Egyptian started questioning me. Despite being confused about the Christian belief I was trying to be dogmatic as most white, middle-class, English Christians do. I was flummoxed when he led me to accept that the God died on the crucifix, thus laying bare the hollowness of the Christian claims of eternity and infinity of God. I now came to realise that I was believing in as absurd a concept as two plus two is equal to five all through my adolescent years.

The West’s prelaid, programmed life intensely repelled me. I began to question if a person has to live a life merely to get strait-jacketed in a rigorous schedule. I found Europeans struggling a lot to enjoy life. They had no higher purpose in life.

The West’s capacity to brainwash its people became plain to me when I discussed the Palestine issue with Egyptians and Palestinians. Several myths-historical, political, economic - were fabricated by the Zionists and propagated unchallenged by the Western media. How could a land vacated by Jews 2000 years earlier be their homeland? I also came to know that existing Jewish people were actually Slavs, not Semites and that Palestinian land was always a green orchard. Israel fabricated the myth of “magical transformation of desert into greenland.”

The American double-speak and hypocrisy began to sink in as I studied the US role in planting and sustaining despotic rulers in Latin America while punishing the Soviet Bloc.

What contrast have you found between people’s lives in Egypt and the UK?

Egyptians were poor, suffered hardships, yet were happy. They left everything in the hands of Allah and forget their miseries when they return home. Prayers help them place their worries before their God. I noticed humility as well as intimacy in Islamic prayers.

But in England I found people shallow, materialistic. They try to be happy but happiness is superficial. Their prayers combined songs, dances, clapping but no humility, nor intimacy with God.

I realised that popular opinion in the West was totally hostage to the Zionist-controlled media. The question of Palestine was one among these. My conversation with Palestinians revealed as to how the West had believed in myths about Israel. First among them was that the Jews had the right to return to their original homeland in Israel. Secondly they conveniently described themselves Semitic while the fact was that most Jews of the world were Slavs who had later converted to Judaism. Thirdly Israel’s economic miracle was theorised to create the economic and scientific myth.

The fact was that I never got to know the Palestinian side of the issue. I got convinced that the people of the West were brainwashed by the media. I found that the US was trying every trick to punish nations indulging in small violations of human rights in the third world but was itself sending death squads into Latin American nations to liquidate their leaders who refused to toe the US line. Such hypocrisy is never criticised by the US media.

How do you find life as a Muslim in the UK?

The Western psyche emphasizes one’s individuality. This is at variance with Islam. Any sincere Muslim feels disturbed. He or she is constantly bombarded by sex and sexuality. Most girls lose virginity by 13 and it is normal for girls to have three to four boyfriends.

The dilemma before Muslims in the West is as to how to integrate with a society so steeped in sex, drugs, drinks and sexual intimacy. And if no integration, then how to save themselves from ghettoisation.

Has the dawah work produced some results in the UK?

Dawah is progressing at a steady pace. New converts have a lot of enthusiasm. They know how dark is the life for a commoner.

How does a common British citizen look at the organisations like the Muslim Parliament?

This kind of terminology is frightening and intimidating for a common citizen. The Muslim Parliament was an organisation founded by Kaleem Siddiqui. I cannot praise him [unclear]. Such attempts are doomed to failure. This is an attempt to create artificial unity.

Does the Hizbut Tahrir find approval in Britain?

Again this organisation unnecessarily intimidates the people. The objective of dawah is to invite the people to worship one Allah. The Holy Prophet (Pbuh) did not preach Khilafah. All this is damaging for Islam in the UK. They say the only place to meet a Jew is on a battlefield while a Muslim should expect him to be sitting or standing next to him.

Your family life

I have two wives, both British-born Muslims of Indian origin and six children.

Does not the British law prohibit bigamy?

It does. Yet several Britishers are bigamists. But those who practise bigamy can protect the second marriage under the provisions of “common law wives”. Under this children out of such marriages are legitimate and wives inherit property.

&&&&

Sir Abdullah Archibald Hamilton 

http://thetruereligion.org/modules/xfsection/article.php?articleid=202

From "Islam, Our Choice"

Sir Abdullah Archibald Hamilton Bart, formerly Sir Charles Edward Archibald Watkins Hamilton, embraced Islam on 20th December 1923.

A well-known English statesman, fifth baronet of the first (1770) and third baronet of the second creation (1819) Sir Abdullah was born on 10th December 1876. He was a Lieutinent in the Royal Defence Corp. and was also the President of the Selsy Conservative Association.

Since arriving at an age of discretion, the beauty and the simple purity of Islam have always appealed to me. I could never, though born and brought up as a Christian, believe in the dogmatic aspect of the Church, and have always placed reason and commonsense above blind faith.

As the time progressed, I wished to be at peace with my Creator, and I found that both the Church of Rome and the Church of England were of no real use to me.

In becoming a Muslim I have merely obeyed the dictates of my conscience, and have since felt a better and a truer man.

There is no religion that is so maligned by the ignorant and the biased as is Islam; yet if people only knew, it is the religion of strong for the weak, the rich for the poor. Humanity is divided into three classes. First, those on whom God has, out of His bounty, bestowed possessions and wealth; secondly, those who have to work to earn their living; and lastly, the great army of the unemployed, or those who have fallen by the wayside through no fault of their own.

Again Islam recognizes genius and individuality. It is constructive and not destructive. For example, if a landowner who is rich and is not in need of cultivating his land refrains from doing so for some time, his property ipso facto becomes public property, and according to Islam Law, passes into the hands of the first person who cultivates it.

Islam strictly forbids its adherents to gamble or to indulge in any games of chance. It prohibits all alcoholic drinks and interdicts usury, which alone has caused enough sorrow and suffering to mankind. Thus, in Islam, none can take a mean advantage of another who is less fortunate.

We neither believe in fatalism nor in predestination, but only in pre-measurement; that is to say the fixity of the laws and the intelligence to follow them.

To us, Faith without Action is a dead-letter; for in itself it is insufficient unless we live up to it. We believe in our own personal accountability for our actions in this life and the Hereafter. We must carry our own cross and none can atone for another's sin.

Islam teaches the inherent sinlessness of man. It teaches that man and woman come from the same essence, possess the same soul, and have been equipped with equal capabilities for intellectual, spiritual and moral attainment.

I do not think I need say much about the Universal Brotherhood of man in Islam. It is a recognized fact. Lord and vassal, rich and poor, are all like. I have always found that my brother Muslims have been the soul of honour and that I could believe their word. They have always treated me justly, as a man and a brother, and have extended to me the greatest hospitality, and I have always felt at home with them.

In conclusion, I would like to say that whereas Islam guides humanity in the daily workaday life, the present-day so-called Christianity, indirectly in theory and invariably in practice, teaches its followers, it would seem, to pray to God on Sundays and to prey on His creatures for the rest of the week.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 12:40:10 AM by Muslim Woman »

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2007, 01:05:36 AM »

From Drury Lane to Makkah

History has not recorded the name of the first British Muslim to carry out the rites of Hajj.

Rumors abound of converted Crusaders who made the trip in medieval times, and of British Muslims in Ottoman naval service who visited the hallowed precincts in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries.

But the first detailed account of the Hajj by an English Muslim had to wait until the Edwardian era, when the artist Hedley Churchward became the first recorded British ‘Guest of God.’

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?c=Article_C&cid=1154235106145&pagename=Zone-English-Discover_Islam%2FDIELayout

Last Update:  Thu. Jun. 6, 2002

Discover Islam » My Journey to Islam » Historical Biographies

The Gift of Islam

By  Abdullah Archibald Hamilton

Since arriving at an age of discretion, the beauty and the simple purity of Islam have always appealed to me. I could never, though born and brought up as a Christian, believe in the dogmatic aspect of the Church, and have always placed reason and commonsense above blind faith.
As the time progressed, I wished to be at peace with my Creator, and I found that both the Church of Rome and the Church of England were of no real use to me.

In becoming a Muslim, I have merely obeyed the dictates of my conscience, and have since felt a better and a truer man.

There is no religion that is so maligned by the ignorant and the biased as is Islam; yet if people only knew, it is the religion of strong for the weak, the rich for the poor. Humanity is divided into three classes.

First, those on whom God has, out of His bounty, bestowed possessions and wealth; secondly, those who have to work to earn their living; and lastly, the great army of the unemployed, or those who have fallen by the wayside through no fault of their own.

Again Islam recognizes genius and individuality. It is constructive and not destructive. For example, if a landowner who is rich and is not in need of cultivating his land, refrains from doing so for some time, his property ipso facto becomes public property, and according to Islamic Law, passes into the hands of the first person who cultivates it.

Islam strictly forbids its adherents to gamble or to indulge in any games of chance. It prohibits all alcoholic drinks and interdicts usury, which alone has caused enough sorrow and suffering to mankind. Thus, in Islam, none can take a mean advantage of another who is less fortunate.

We neither believe in fatalism nor in predestination, but only in pre-measurement; that is to say the fixity of the laws and the intelligence to follow them.

To us, Faith without Action is a dead-letter; for in itself it is insufficient unless we live up to it. We believe in our own personal accountability for our actions in this life and the Hereafter. We must carry our own cross and none can atone for another's sin.

Islam teaches the inherent sinlessness of man. It teaches that man and woman come from the same essence, possess the same soul, and have been equipped with equal capabilities for intellectual, spiritual and moral attainment.

I do not think I need say much about the Universal Brotherhood of man in Islam. It is a recognized fact. Lord and vassal, rich and poor, are all like. I have always found that my brother Muslims have been the soul of honor and that I could believe their word. They have always treated me justly, as a man and a brother, and have extended to me the greatest hospitality, and I have always felt at home with them.

In conclusion, I would like to say that, whereas Islam guides humanity in the daily workaday life, the present-day so-called Christianity, indirectly in theory and invariably in practice, teaches its followers, it would seem, to pray to God on Sundays and to prey on His creatures for the rest of the week.

Moved by the Prophetic Temperament:

Jewish Scholar Zaid ibn Su`nah Accepts Islam

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?c=Article_C&cid=1154235105953&pagename=Zone-English-Discover_Islam%2FDIELayout

%%%

Unable to Deny the Truth *

`Umar bin al-Khattab's Journey to Islam

Few historical Islamic personalities move the hearts of Muslims today like `Umar bin al-Khattab, the intimate Companion of the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) and the second Caliph of Islam.

While the story of his conversion is well-known to many Muslims who have read about it even as children, it nevertheless remains a valuable reminder of the power of the Islamic call to change the hearts of even its most bitter opponents.

The following account is the first installment of My Journey to Islam’s historical personalities section:

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?c=Article_C&cid=1154235102872&pagename=Zone-English-Discover_Islam%2FDIELayout

« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 01:15:36 AM by Muslim Woman »

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2007, 02:18:23 AM »

I am  collecting  the following info from  non-Muslim source.....wikipedia.

If anybody notices any  anti-Islamic matters , pl.  let me know so that  i can delete that. Thanks.

Claude Alexandre, Comte de Bonneval (14 July 1675 - 23 March 1747) was a French army officer who later went into the service of the Ottoman Empire, eventually converting to Islam and becoming known as Humbaracı Ahmet Paşa.

Jacques-François de Menou, baron de Boussay was a French general under Napoleon I of France. Born Jacques Menou in Boussay (Indre-et-Loire) on 3 September 1750, he died in Venice on 13 August 1810. In 1798 Le Moniteur documented Napoleon's conversion to Islam, claiming his new Muslim name as ‘Aly Napoleon Bonaparte’.[1]

The newspaper referenced Manou's Islamic conversion, who changed his name to Abdullah Jacques-François de Boussay, baron de Menou.

He later later married an Egyptian woman, Sitti Zoubeida, possibly a descendant from the line of Muhammad.[2]

Captain Pierre-François Bouchard reported to him the discovery of the Rosetta stone, a vital key in unlocking the lost language of hieroglyphics.[3]

« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 02:22:35 AM by Muslim Woman »

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2007, 12:17:44 PM »

Biography Of Professor David Benjamin Keldani: Former Roman Catholic Bishop of the Uniate Chaldean

http://www.muhammad.net/biblelp/bio_keldani.html

The Articles Of The Bishop Of Uramiah,
On The Creator, Holy Books And Prophets
Biography Of Professor David Benjamin Keldani, B.D. (died 1940c) Former Roman Catholic Bishop of the Uniate Chaldean

Abdu'l-Ahad Dawud is the former Rev. David Abdu Benjamin Keldani, B.D., a Roman Catholic priest of the Uniate-Chaldean sect. He was born in 1867 at Urmia in Persia; educated from his early infancy in that town. From 1886-89 he was on the teaching staff of the Archbishop of Canterbury's Mission to the Assyrian (Nestorian) Christians at Urmia.

In 1892 he was sent by Cardinal Vaughan to Rome, where he underwent a course of philosophical and theological studies at the Propaganda Fide College, and in 1895 was ordained Priest. In 1892 Professor Dawud contributed a series of articles to The Tablet on "Assyria, Rome and Canterbury";

and also to the Irish Record on the "Authenticity of the Pentateuch." He has several translations of the Ave Maria in different languages, published in the illustrated Catholic Missions. While in Constantinople on his way to Persia in 1895, he contributed a long series of articles in English and French to the daily paper, published there under the name of The Levant Herald, on "Eastern Churches." In 1895 he joined the French Lazarist Mission at Urmia, and published for the first time in the history of that Mission a periodical in the vernacular Syriac called Qala-La-Shara, i.e.

"The Voice of Truth." In 1897 he was delegated by two Uniate-Chaldean Arch- bishops of Urmia and of Salmas to represent the Eastern Catholics at the Eucharistic Congress held at Paray-le-Monial in France under the presidency of Cardinal Perraud. This was, of course, an official invitation. The paper read at the Congress by "Father Benjamin" was published in the Annals of the Eucharistic Congress, called "Le Pellerin" of that year. In this paper, the Chaldean Arch-Priest (that being his official title) deplored the Catholic system of education among the Nestorians.

In 1888 Father Benjamin was back again in Persia. In his native village, Digala, about a mile from the town, he opened a school. The next year he was sent by the Ecclesiastical authorities to take charge of the diocese of Salmas, where a sharp and scandalous conflict between the Uniate Archbishop, Khudabash, and the Lazarist Fathers for a long time had been menacing a schism. On the day of New Year 1900, Father Benjamin preached his last and memorable sermon to a large congregation, including many non-Catholic Armenians and others in the Cathedral of St. George's Khorovabad, Salmas. The preacher's subject was "New Century and New Men."

He recalled the fact that the Nestorian Missionaries, before the appearance of Islam, namely "submission" to God, had preached the Gospel in all Asia; that they had numerous establishments in India (especially at the Malabar Coast), in Tartary, China and Mongolia; and that they translated the Gospel to the Turkish Uighurs and in other languages; that the Catholic, American and Anglican Missions, in spite of the little good they had done to the Assyro- Chaldean nation in the way of preliminary education, had split the nation - already a handful in Persia, Kurdistan and Mesopotamia into numerous hostile sects; and that their efforts were destined to bring about the final collapse. Con- sequently he advised the natives to make some sacrifices in order to stand upon their own legs like men, and not to depend upon the foreign missions, etc.

The preacher was perfectly right in principle; but his remarks were unfavorable to the interests of the Lord's Missionaries. This sermon hastily brought the Apostolique Delegate, Mgr. Lesne, from Urmia to Salmas. He remained to the last a friend of Father Benjamin. They both returned to Urmia. A new Russian Mission had already been estab- lished in Urmia since 1899. The Nestorians were enthu- siastically embracing the religion of the "holy" Tsar of All Russias!

Five big and ostentatious missions, Americans, Anglicans, French, Germans and Russians with their colleges, press backed up by rich religious societies, Consuls and Ambassadors, were endeavoring to convert about one hundred thousand Assyro-Chaldeans from Nestorian heresy unto one or another of the five heresies. But the Russian Mission soon outstripped the others, and it was this mission which in 1915 pushed or forced the Assyrians of Persia, as well as the mountaineer tribes of Kurdistan, who had then immigrated into the plains of Salmas and Urmia, to take up arms against their respective Governments.

The result was that half of his people perished in the war and the rest expelled from their native lands.

The great question which for a long time had been working its solution in the mind of this priest was now approaching its climax. Was Christianity, with all its multi- tudinous shapes and colors, and with its unauthentic, spurious and corrupted Scriptures, the true Religion of God?

In the summer of 1900 he retired to his small villa in the middle of vineyards near the celebrated fountain of Chali- Boulaghi in Digala, and there for a month spent his time in prayer and meditation, reading over and over the Scriptures in their original texts. The crisis ended in a formal resigna- tion sent in to the Uniate Archbishop of Urmia, in which he frankly explained to (Mgr.)

Touma Audu the reasons for abandoning his sacerdotal functions. All attempts made by the ecclesiastical authorities to withdraw his decision were of no avail. There was no personal quarrel or dispute between Father Benjamin and his superiors; it was all ques- tion of conscience.

For several months Mr. Dawud, as he was now called, was employed in Tabriz as Inspector in the Persian Service of Posts and Customs under the Belgian experts.

Then he was taken into the service of the Crown Prince Muhammad 'Ali Mirza as teacher and translator. It was in 1903 that he again visited England and there joined the Unitarian Community. And in 1904 he was sent by the British and Foreign Unitarian Association to carry on an educational and enlightening work among his country people.

On his way to Persia he visited Constantinople; and after several interviews with the Sheikhu 'I-Islam Jemalu 'd-Din Effendi and other Ulemas, he embraced the Holy Religion of Islam, meaning submission to God.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2007, 09:41:39 AM »

René Guénon: Rising to the Light *

Sheikh Yahya with his two daughters.

"In order to know the reality of light, you must ascend to its source in a unique, personal experiment."
— René Guénon

The French scholar René Guénon — or Sheikh Abdul-Wahid Yahya — was an expert on religion, particularly on Islam in the 20th century.

The name he chose for himself after embracing Islam summarizes his entire life in a few words. Abdul-Wahid, "Servant of the One," signifies that he chose the road to tranquility away from the conflicts and the struggles of life, the road to the worship of Allah, the One, Who has no partner.

Guénon converted from Christianity to Islam, after studying Freemasonry and ancient Oriental philosophies. He embraced Islam after a long search for the link that would connect him with the whole universe.

His Early Steps

Guénon was born on November 15, 1886, in the city of Blois, in west-central France. He was raised in a conservative Catholic family. Guénon suffered from a weakening sickness as a child, which delayed his entrance to school. So, until he was 12 years old, his aunt taught him to read and write in her beautiful house on the banks of the Loire River.

When he was 16 years old, he joined Rollin College in Paris where he obtained his bachelor's degree in both philosophy and mathematics. He did not stop with his university studies, and decided to continue learning in Paris, a place filled with scholars and professors from all over the world.

At 20 he began his quest for answers to the questions that the Catholic theologians could not answer. He decided to study the major world religions and the spiritual philosophies. His search ended with his embracing Islam. Consequently, he became one of the most important modern Sufi scholars.

On His Way to Belief

In 1906, he joined the free school of transcendental studies under an Asian scholar, and he joined other mystical and secret organizations. In 1908, he joined the Grand Masonic Lodge in France. He also joined the Gnostic Church, which is based on philosophical search that leads to a greater understanding and knowledge of God. While he was involved with many esoteric, secret, and Gnostic organizations, he also undertook study into many traditional esoteric bodies related to Hinduism, Islam, Christianity, and Taoism.

Guénon's first written works appeared in 1909. He published two scientific papers and a debate in scientific magazines, as well as an expository essay letter in the magazine Christian Masonry of France. He wrote his works under the penname Abul-Hol (meaning "the Sphinx").

At the end of 1909, Guénon was appointed bishop in the Gnostic Alexandrian Church. In that same year, he edited and published a review journal called La

Gnose for which he wrote a number of essays and reviews on spirituality and esoterism. His writing showed his very critical judgment of the Gnostic Church, considering the modern spiritual sects nothing more than materialism on a new level with their only aim being to overlay modern science on the spiritual self.

Moment of Decision

Gustav Ageli 
Guénon's relationship with the French thinker and painter Gustav Ageli was a great influence on his embracing Islam.

Ageli embraced Islam in 1897 and changed his name to Abdul-Hadi. He was editing an Arabic-Italian magazine called Al Nady at the time that Guénon was publishing La Gnose. In 1910 Abdul-Hadi took an active role in that magazine, publishing research studies and many French translations of Sufi texts.

In 1912, after deep study, Guénon embraced Islam. Abdul-Halim Mahmoud, who was one of the distinguished grand sheikhs of Al-Azhar in the 70s, said, "The reason for Guénon's embrace of Islam is simple and logical at the same time. Guénon wanted to adhere to a holy scripture that can never be wrong. After thorough studies, he found nothing but the Qur'an. It is the only book that was neither distorted nor changed because Allah obligated Himself to preserve it. Guénon followed its regulations and, as a result, he achieved spiritual tranquility."

Sufism at the Sorbonne                                                                                   

Seal of the Sorbonne 
In July 1915 Guénon attained his degree in philosophy from the famous Sorbonne University. He continued his postgraduate studies and attained a diploma of higher learning. He was appointed a philosophy professor in Algeria for a short time. He moved back to Paris to prepare for his doctorate on the subject of differential calculus . However, because he always had independent philosophical views, his professor refused to award him the doctoral degree. Later in 1918, Guénon started to prepare for the Aggregation level in philosophy

This was not going to stop Guénon, or Sheikh Abdul-Wahid Yahya, from continuing his work and research. The fruit of this dedication was the publication of two books in 1921, one of which was an approach to the studies of Hindu doctrines. Following this work was a series of books and articles in various newspapers.

In 1925, he started working in a magazine called Le Voile d'Isis, in which he wrote intensively until 1929. Throughout this time, he received several offers for advancement, but he never wished to become the chief editor.

Also in 1925, Sheikh Yahya delivered a most significant speech at the Sorbonne entitled "Eastern Metaphysics." He discussed the differences between the philosophies of East and West in terms of the unseen world. He emphasized that metaphysics is universal and neither Eastern nor Western, but the differences occurred in the understanding of this concept among the cultures of the East and West. He stressed that going back to the Eastern metaphysical beliefs was essential, since the West had nearly lost all spiritual values and principles through its pursuit of scientific materialism.

In 1927, he published his books Crisis of the Modern World and The Reign of Quantity and the Signs of the Times, which gained great recognition. He republished them numerous times in various printing styles, reflecting tradition and culture.

Sheikh Yahya may seem very harsh and subjective in his analysis and study of the West, but those who understand the European mentality, with its inability to discard its stereotypes of the East and Muslims, will notice that Sheikh Yahya's writings indeed encompassed all the philosophical views.

He was acutely concerned with Western culture, not to demolish it but to save it by calling it back to the True Religion. In his point of view, this was the only way to create a balance in this culture, which definitely had some positive aspects, or else it would not still exist today.

Cairo...Finally

Guénon's villa in Nawal Street, Cairo 

Sheikh Yahya received an offer from a publishing house in Paris to travel to Egypt and learn about Sufism, in order to become acquainted with its sources and translate them. He moved to Cairo in 1930 on a mission that was supposed to last only three months. The publishing house cancelled the project because he extended his stay for his research. Nevertheless, Sheikh Yahya lived in the Azhar neighborhood disconnected from the Europeans and the outside world, dedicating himself fully to his studies.

In 1934 Sheikh Yahya married the daughter of Sheikh Mohammed Ibrahim, with whom he had four children. Sheikh Yahya wanted to spread the Sufi philosophy in Egypt; hence he founded the magazine Al-Ma`rifah (Comprehension) in cooperation with Abdul-Aziz Al-Istanbulli. Al-Ma`rifah is one approach to the path of Allah, whereas the final and highest goal is love. The magazine's main agenda was to explore religous knowledge. Sheikh Yahya continued to write books, articles, and letters that began turning thoughts toward the spiritual world.

End of the Journey

Sheikh Yahya passed away in 1951, at the age of 64, in Cairo, leaving behind his wife and four children, one still an infant.

Andre Rosso, the famous author, described his burial in the French newspaper Le Figaro in detail. Sheikh Yahya's wife and three children walked behind the funeral procession until they reached Al-Hussein Mosque, where they prayed the Funeral Prayer with family and friends. He was buried in Sheikh Muhammad Ibrahim's family tomb.

Several newspapers published brilliant obituaries on the honorable man, mentioning his great accomplishments and fine character. Even the Etude Traditionnelle dedicated a special edition to him in which many French authors expounded on his great achievements and praised him for his efforts.

For the Sake of Islam

Guénon at his writing desk in his Cairo home 
Sheikh Yahya left behind several books defending Islam and clearing several misconceptions such as Islam being spread by the sword. His writings confronted the Orientalists and clarified Islam's spiritual element.

Among the titles of his books, which covered many topics, were the following:

Spiritualist Fallacy; East and West; The Esoterism of Dante; Man and His Becoming According ing to Vedanta; The Crisis of the Modern World; The King of the World; The Symbolism of the Cross; Spiritual Authority and Temporal Power; The Great Triad; Metaphysical Principles of the Infinitesimal Calculus; Multiple States of Being;Studies in Freemasonry; Symbols of the Sacred Science.

Resources

Abdel Aziz, Zeinab. Essays from René Guénon. Cairo: Dar Al-Ansar.

Abdel Samad, Mohamed Kamel. The Hidden Side of Those Embracing Islam. Cairo: Al-Dar Al-Masrya Al-Lubnanya, 1995.

Al-Akekey, Nageeb. The Orientalists. Cairo: Dar Al Maaref, 1965.

Hamid, Ahmed. Why Did They Embrace Islam? Cairo: Matbo'at Al-Sha'b, 1976.

Mahmoud, Abdul-Halim. Europe and Islam. Cairo: Al-Ahram Commercial Press, 1973.

Mahmoud, Abdul-Halim. The Muslim Philosopher René Guénon. Cairo: Anglo Library, 1945.

Mahmoud, Abdul-Halim. The Topic of Sufism: Al Shazlya School. Cairo: Dar Al Maaref, 1999.

Omar, Omar Al-Farouq, trans. René Guénon: Practical introduction to the cultural theories. Cairo: The High Council for Culture, 2003.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* This article first appeared at islamonlin.net's Arabic website and was translated by Dar-at- Tarjamah.

http://www.readingislam.com/servlet/Satellite?c=Article_C&cid=1179664581043&pagename=Zone-English-Discover_Islam%2FDIELayout

« Last Edit: May 26, 2007, 09:43:26 AM by Muslim Woman »