Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 12, 2017, 08:29:18 AM

Author Topic: Fasting the 9th and 10th of Muharram  (Read 2155 times)

• Global Moderator
  • Reputation Power: 1844
  • Muslim  Woman is awe-inspiring!Muslim  Woman is awe-inspiring!Muslim  Woman is awe-inspiring!Muslim  Woman is awe-inspiring!Muslim  Woman is awe-inspiring!Muslim  Woman is awe-inspiring!Muslim  Woman is awe-inspiring!Muslim  Woman is awe-inspiring!Muslim  Woman is awe-inspiring!Muslim  Woman is awe-inspiring!Muslim  Woman is awe-inspiring!Muslim  Woman is awe-inspiring!
Fasting the 9th and 10th of Muharram
« on: January 16, 2008, 04:18:58 PM »
 :salam:

Fahim   - Netherlands

Question
 I want to fast `Ashura’ this year (the tenth), but some people told me that the Sunnah is to fast the day before as well (the ninth). Is there any report that this was the teaching of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him)?

Date
 25/Jan/2007

Name of Mufti
 Muhammad Saleh Al-Munajjid

Topic
 Kinds of Fasting

Answer

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

Dear questioner, thanks for your interesting question, and we implore Allah earnestly to increase our rewards in these blessed days.

Indeed, fasting the 9th and the 10th of Muharram is a Prophetic Sunnah. The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said, “Fasting the day of `Ashura’, I hope that Allah will accept it as expiation for the previous year.” (Reported by Muslim)

Ibn `Abbas also quotes the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) as saying, “If I live next year, I shall also fast on the 9th day.” (Reported by Ahmad)

Responding to the question, Sheikh M. S. Al-Munajjid, a prominent Saudi Muslim lecturer and author, states the following:

`Abdullah ibn `Abbas (may Allah be pleased with him) said: When the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings be upon him) fasted on the day of `Ashura’ and told the people to fast, they said, “O Messenger of Allah, this is a day that is venerated by the Jews and Christians.” The Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings be upon him) said, “Next year, if Allah wills, we will fast on the ninth day.” But by the time the following year came, the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings be upon him) had passed away. (Reported by Muslim)

Al-Shafi`i and his companions, Ahmad, Ishaq, and others said: It is recommended to fast both the 9th and the 10th because the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) fasted the 10th and intended to fast the 9th.

Based on this, there are different ways of fasting `Ashura’, the least of which is to fast the 10th only, but it is better to fast the 9th as well. The more one fasts in Muharram, the better.

Source: www.islam-qa.com   
 Related Questions

- Significance of Fasting the Day of `Ashura'

- Fasting `Ashura’ in Accordance with the Jews

- Days of Muharram: Ethics & Significance

Allah Almighty knows best.

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?cid=1119503549532&pagename=IslamOnline-English-Ask_Scholar%2FFatwaE%2FFatwaEAskTheScholar
My Father is greater than I.  Bible, John 14:28

Christ will never be proud to reject to be a slave to God ...( 4: 172 )

prepared by faith :)

recitation: http://quran.jalisi.com
  • Global Moderator
  • Muslim  Woman is awe-inspiring!Muslim  Woman is awe-inspiring!Muslim  Woman is awe-inspiring!Muslim  Woman is awe-inspiring!Muslim  Woman is awe-inspiring!Muslim  Woman is awe-inspiring!Muslim  Woman is awe-inspiring!Muslim  Woman is awe-inspiring!Muslim  Woman is awe-inspiring!Muslim  Woman is awe-inspiring!Muslim  Woman is awe-inspiring!Muslim  Woman is awe-inspiring!
Re: Fasting the 9th and 10th of Muharram
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 03:53:26 PM »

Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said:
The best of fasting after Ramadan is fasting in Allah’s month of Muharram.
Reference: Sahih Muslim

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 03:53:13 PM »

The True Significance of ʿĀshūra

The fast of ‘Ashura is in the month of Muharram, and it is sufficient virtue for this month to know that Allah aligned the month of Muharram with his own nameAs we stand on the eve of the fasting of ‘Ashura, a season of worship draws to a close which started six months ago in Sha’ban. The Prophet Muhammad (Sallahu ‘alayhi wa salam) would fast much of Sha’ban in anticipation of Ramadan. Aisha narrates that: “I never saw the Messenger of Allah fasting for a whole month except the month of Ramadan, and I didn’t see him fasting in any month more than in the month of Shaban”.[1]

Then came the glorious month of Ramadan in which the ummah revives its faith with fasting during the day, tarawih prayers throughout the night, charity in abundance and pilgrimage to the sacred house. Within Ramadan is the Night of Power, better than a thousand months, in which descend the angels with every decree. Then came the fasting of the six days of Shawaal about which the Prophet Muhammad (Sallahu ‘alayhi wa salam) said: “Whoever fasts for six days after al-Fitr has completed the year…”[2] The reward of a whole years fasting for the fasting of six days bears testimony to the generosity of a Creator who showers His blessings upon His servants for nothing more than fulfilling the purpose of their creation.

Then comes the season of the great Hajj, which not only has the blessed day of Arafah, but also the greatest day of the year, the Day of Sacrifice. And finally we have the fasting of ‘Ashura in the month of Muharram, for which Allah promised forgiveness of sins for an entire year. How remarkable is the generosity of the Creator. A single day’s fasting continues to wipe out sins committed during the day and night for an entire year. At the end of this season of worship, comes a subdued period where we do not see days, nights and months with the same excellence as those that have passed, so let us end this season on a spiritual high.
The fast of ‘Ashura is in the month of Muharram, and it is sufficient virtue for this month to know that Allah aligned the month of Muharram with his own name. Abu Hurayrah (Radiallahu ‘anhu), narrates that the Prophet Muhammad (Sallahu ‘alayhi wa salam) said: “The best of fasting after Ramadan is fasting during Allah’s month, Muharram.”[3] Muharram is one of the four sacred months about which Allah stated: “Indeed, the number of months with Allah is twelve months in the register of Allah [from] the day He created the heavens and the earth; of these, four are sacred. That is the correct religion, so do not wrong yourselves during them…”[4]
It was reported that Ibn ‘Abbas (Radiallahu ‘anhuma), said that the verse: “…so do not wrong yourselves during them…” initially referred to all the months, then these four were singled out and made sacred, so that sin in these months is multiplied and good deeds bring a greater reward. This fact has largely been neglected by Muslims today who in their eagerness to sanctify the month of Ramadan have forgotten the order of Allah not to oppress our own souls in the four sacred months.

While there is a general encouragement to fast throughout the month, one day has been singled out for its virtue above all others. Ibn ‘Abbas (Radiallahu ‘anhuma), said: “I never saw the Messenger of Allah (Sallahu ‘alayhi wa salam) so keen to fast any day and give it priority over any other than this day, the day of ‘Ashura, and this month, meaning Ramadan.”[5] Little wonder that the Prophet Muhammad (Sallahu ‘alayhi wa salam) was so keen to observe this fast when he stated: “For fasting the day of ‘Ashura, I hope that Allah will accept it as expiation for the year that went before.”[6]

The exact day of ‘Ashura has been confirmed by Ibn ‘Abbas (Radiallahu ‘anhuma) who reported: “The Messenger of Allah (Sallahu ‘alayhi wa salam) commanded us to fast ‘Ashura, the tenth day of Muharram.”[7] Ibn ‘Abbas (Radiallahu ‘anhuma) also reports: “The Prophet Muhammad (Sallahu ‘alayhi wa salam) came to Medina and observed that the Jews were fasting on the day of ‘Ashura. He asked: ‘What is this?’ They replied: ‘This is a righteous day, it is the day when Allah saved the Children of Israel from their enemies, so Musa fasted on this day.’ He (Sallahu ‘alayhi wa salam) replied: ‘We have more right to Musa than you’, so he fasted on that day and commanded the Muslims to do likewise.”[8]
Another narration states, “This is a great day, on which Allah saved Musa and his people, and drowned Pharaoh and his people.”[9] The true significance of ‘Ashura is to reclaim Musa (‘Alayhisalam) for this ummah.

He is a Prophet whose chronicles are pivotal to the heritage of this ummah. Abu Hurayrah (Radiallahu ‘anhu) narrates that when one of the companions disputed with a Jew regarding the status of the Prophet Muhammad (Sallahu ‘alayhi wa salam) compared to Musa, the Prophet Muhammad (Sallahu ‘alayhi wa salam) said: “Do not prefer me over Musa. On the Day of Rising, people will faint, and I will faint with them. I will be the first to regain consciousness, and there will be Musa grasping the Throne. I do not know whether he will be among those who fainted and regained consciousness before me, or if he was one of those that Allah exempted.”[10]

The chronicles of Musa (‘Alayhisalam) are mentioned from the very beginning of the Quran in Surah al-Baqarah until the very end of the Quran in surah al-‘Ala. He is the most oft mentioned person in the Quran, by name, with 136 references. Even our very acts of worship are intrinsically connected to the Prophet Musa (‘Alayhisalam). It was he who urged the Prophet Muhammad (Sallahu ‘alayhi wa salam) to return to His Lord in the ascension through the heavens and seek a concession of five daily prayers instead of fifty. And it is his story that we commemorate with the fasting of ‘Ashura.

But why Musa (‘Alayhisalam)? Why not Isa (‘Alayhisalam) or Nuh (‘Alayhisalam), for they too are from the five greatest Messengers of strong resolve? One of the wisdoms lies in the verse: “And We did certainly send Musa with Our signs and a clear authority To Pharaoh, Haman and Qarun; but they said, “[He is] a magician and a liar.”[11]

Note how Allah did not restrict Musa’s mission to the figure head of the Pharonic society but included Haman and Qarun. Each one of them represents a type of corruption that is to be repeated throughout the annals of history. Pharaoh is the archetypal tyrant, the despot. Intoxicated with his own power, he claims lordship, and slaughters innocent children in their very cradles for a perceived threat to his throne. Haman is the chief minister who represents the political corruption of the elite. He institutionalises oppression and symbolises the intrigue and plotting which has become the hallmark of politicians. Qarun represents the excesses of wealth. The financial power that bank rolls the corrupt society and plots against the Messengers. He also represents hypocrisy. A man from the Children of Israel, who not only was complicit in their exploitation, but actively benefitted from the subjugation of his own people.

Musa (‘Alayhisalam) and his people encountered every challenge, every opponent and every trial that this ummah would face. The failures of the Children of Israel are indeed a manifestation of our own shortcomings when taken to the extreme. And it is when we return to our religion that we reclaim the Prophet Musa (‘Alayhisalam) as our own. A relationship consecrated with the fasting of ‘Ashura. In a hugely symbolic act the Prophet Muhammad (Sallahu ‘alayhi wa salam) stated his intention to differ from the Jews by fasting the 9th of Muharram also. ‘Abdullaah ibn ‘Abbaas, (Radiallahu ‘anhuma), said: “When the Messenger of Allah (Sallahu ‘alayhi wa salam) fasted on ‘Ashura and commanded the Muslims to do likewise, they said: ‘O Messenger of Allah! It is a day that is venerated by the Jews and Christians.’ The Messenger of Allah (Sallahu ‘alayhi wa salam) replied: ‘If I live to see the next year, insha Allah, we will fast on the ninth day too.’ But it so happened that the Messenger of Allah (Sallahu ‘alayhi wa salam) passed away before the next year came.’[12]

The Prophet Muhammad (Sallahu ‘alayhi wa salam) was endowed with speech that was brief but profound in meaning. In this short narration he simultaneously reclaimed the legacy of Musa, sanctified the month of Muharram, maintained the unique identity of this ummah and surpassed the People of the Book. Hence the sunnah to this day is to fast the 9th and 10th of Muharram while there is no blame on a Muslim who can only fast the 10th.
We live in times where the excesses of the heretics have obscured the true significance of Muharram in general and ‘Ashura in particular. Collective self-harm in full view of a bewildered public has no basis in the shariah and contradicts sound intellect and resembles the practises of Jahiliyyah (the days of ignorance). It is high time that orthodox Muslims reclaimed Muharram. In fact before the obligation of Ramadan was revealed, there is an opinion that the fasting of ‘Ashura was indeed obligatory. It was reported from Ibn Mas’ud (Radiallahu ‘anhu) that he said, ‘when fasting Ramadan was made obligatory, the obligation to fast ‘Ashura was lifted’. So let us as a community revive the sunnah of fasting the 9th and 10th of Muharram. Let us revive the status of ‘Allah’s month’ in our hearts. And let us reclaim the legacy of the great Messenger of Allah, Musa (‘Alayhisalam)

Notes:Source: www.islam21c.com[1] Bukhari[2] An-Nisa’i and Ibn Majah. See also Sahih at-Targhib wa’t-Tarhib, 1/421[3] Muslim[4] al-Quran 9:36[5] Bukhari[6] Muslim[7] Tirmidhi, who said, a saheeh hasan hadeeth[8] Bukhari[9] Muslim[10] Bukhari[11] al-Quran 40:23-24[12] Muslim
http://www.islam21c.com/

[/size][/font][/size][/font][/color]
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 03:55:06 PM by Muslim Woman »

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 04:15:51 PM »

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: "For fasting the day of 'Ashura', I hope that Allah will accept it as expiation for the year that went before."

[Reported by Muslim, 1976]

This is from the bounty of Allah towards us: for fasting one day He gives us expiation for the sins of a whole year. And Allah is the Owner of Great Bounty.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2015, 05:16:24 PM »

Assalamu-Alaikum and Greetings !
Ashura of Muharram

With Ashura at our doorsteps, this is a reminder for you to fast the two days of Ashura on the 9th and 10th of Muharram (or 10th and 11th of Muharram 1437 AH). Per Makkah calendar, 10th of Muharram corresponds to 24th October, 2015.

Another point to note for the month of Muharram is the authentic hadith by the prophet mentioned in Sahih Muslim (hadith # 1163) where he (s.a.w.s.) says, "The best fasting after Ramadan is the month of Allaah Muharram, and the best prayer after the obligatory prayer is prayer at night."

Do let others know about this so they, too, can fast on the two days of Muharram as instructed to us by our prophet (sa.w.s.)

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2017, 09:13:39 AM »
:sl:

A reminder to fast on Ashura.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2017, 01:44:05 PM »
:sl:

Fasting for Hazrat Husain (Radiyallahu Anhu)

Q: I want to ask can we fast for the Isaal-e-sawaab of Imaam Husain (Radiyallahu Anhu)? Is there any benefit or special reward that Allah Ta'ala will grant us?

A: The gruesome martyrdom of Hazrat Husain (Radiyallahu Anhu) was undoubtedly among the most tragic and heart breaking events that occurred in the annals of history. However despite that, it should be borne in mind that the occasion of Aashura and its virtues are not associated with the martyrdom of Hazrat Husain (Radiyallahu Anhu). Instead, Aashura had received its virtue and auspiciousness before the birth of Hazrat Husain (Radiyallahu Anhu).

There were many other personalities greater than Hazrat Husain (Radiyallahu Anhu) who were also martyred in the path of Allah Ta'ala, from the Ambiya (Alayhimus Salaam) and also from the Sahaaba (Radiyallahu Anhum), the likes of Hazrat Umar (Radiyallahu Anhu), Hazrat Usmaan (Radiyallahu Anhu), Hazrat Ali (Radiyallahu Anhu), Hazrat Ja'far (Radiyallahu Anhu), Hazrat Hamza (Radiyallahu Anhu) and many others. If one feels that he should be fasting for Hazrat Husain (Radiyallahu Anhu), then he should first commence fasting for all those personalities who were greater than Hazrat Husain (Radiyallahu Anhu) and had sacrificed their lives for Deen before he commences fasting for Hazrat Husain (Radiyallahu Anhu). However, there is no day that has been earmarked in the Islamic calendar for one to mourn their death or for one to fast for them, etc.

And Allah Ta'ala (الله تعالى) knows best.

عن عائشة رضي الله عنها قالت قال رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم من أحدث في أمرنا هذا ما ليس فيه فهو رد (صحيح البخاري رقم 2697)

البدعة في المذهب ايراد قول لم يستن قائلها وفائلها فيه بصاحب الشريعة وأمثالها (المفردات ص36)

قال الشامي : قوله ( قوله وهي اعتقاد الخ ) عزا هذا التعريف في هامش الخزائن إلى الحافظ ابن حجر في شرح النخبة ولا يخفى أن الاعتقاد يشمل ما كان معه عمل أو لا فإن من تدين بعمل لا بد أن يعتقده كمسح الشيعة على الرجلين وإنكارهم المسح على الخفين ونحو ذلك وحينئذ فيساوي تعريف الشمني لها بأنها ما أحدث على خلاف الحق المتلقى عن رسول الله من علم أو عمل أو حال بنوع شبهة واستحسان وجعل دينا قويما وصراطا مستقيما (رد المحتار 1/560)

Answered by:

Mufti Zakaria Makada

Checked & Approved:

Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)